The Beatty House is a Designated Provincial Historic Resource.
The Beatty House was built in 1925 and has stood relatively unchanged at the centre of Rimbey through the years. This historical landmark was purchased by the Beatty House Committee of the Rimbey Historical Society in 1987 in an effort to preserve it for public use and enjoyment. The grounds are open to the public with picnic facilities.
In 2001, the Beatty Heritage House Society was formed. Annual memberships are available by contacting Jackie Anderson at 403-843-6518. We encourage anyone wishing to support the project or become involved in the ongoing operation of the Society to become a member.
Donations assist our non-profit Society with preserving and restoring the Beatty House and property, as well as helping to cover overhead costs. Donations are tax deductible, publicly acknowledged, and very gratefully received.
The heritage value of the Beatty Heritage House lies in its representation of the post-World War One prosperity of small towns in rural Alberta by the mid-1920s, and it reflects the rapid commercial growth of Rimbey following the arrival of the Canadian Pacific Railway (C.P.R.) branch line in 1921.
The Beatty Heritage House expresses the social and civic aspirations and status of its original owner Jack Beatty, whose successful hardware business and community activities made him a leading citizen of the town. When Jack Beatty died in 1956, his wife Violet continued to live in the Beatty Heritage House almost until her death in 1984. Landscape elements including, tree and shrub plantings, a rock garden, flower beds, a restored fieldstone perimeter wall with its original free-stranding stone piers, fire pit, and bird bath that are associated directly with the occupancy of the house by Jack and Violet Beatty, contribute significantly to the historic environment of the Beatty House. Now a community facility, the restored Beatty House is a valued prominent landmark in Rimbey.
The Beatty Heritage House is significant as an excellent example of a local expression of the Craftsman style that reached the height of its popularity throughout North America in the 1920s. Designed and built in 1924-1925 by local carpenter Joe Jones, it incorporated locally milled lumber and other natural building materials, and innovative use of plaster for improved insulation. The fashionable interior layout included an open floor plan and a modern kitchen and arts and crafts decorative detailing.
The Beatty House property and gardens are owned and maintained by the Beatty Heritage House Society for the enjoyment and use of the community. Want to host a summer picnic? A meeting, a concert, a presentation, an art show, a lecture, a games night, a yoga class, a book club? Or something else? The Beatty House main floor holds up to 45 people, and the large, cozy basement is also available for rent. View a slideshow gallery here or check out past happenings on our Events Blog.
Fees to use the Beatty House:
Contact for Bookings:
Florence Stemo 403-843-3443
Teri Ormberg 403-843-6497
The Beatty Heritage House Society is hosting concerts in the popular Home Routes series. Performers from all over North America entertain our audience about once per month from September to April with musical styles that range from folk over jazz, to rock and bluegrass - the Beatty House is the perfect venue for house concerts, allowing for plenty of audience interaction and we're family-friendly as well. For more information about past and upcoming concerts, please visit our Events Blog.